Sr. Packaging Engineer
A High Growth, Entrepreneurial Plant-Based Protein Company
Established in 2018, Greenleaf Foods is a leading consumer plant-based protein company committed to shaping the future of plant-based eating.
Our portfolio of plant-based protein brands includes Lightlife Foods and Field Roast Grain Meat Co. Lightlife products inspire clean, nourishing health with a simple ingredient deck and great taste the entire family will enjoy. Lightlife is proud to make the country’s #1 brand of tempeh the #1 plant-based hot dog. Field Roast is known for bringing food enthusiasts together with globally inspired flavors, whole-food ingredients and innovative processes that make its plant-based meats and cheeses. Together, the brands feature more than 50 products and represent a leading market position in the plant-based protein category.
Are you looking for an opportunity to make an impact on a fast-growing company? Greenleaf Foods is headquartered 20 miles outside of Chicago in Elmhurst, IL and is an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Maple Leaf Foods, Canada’s leading protein company. We have operations in Seattle, WA; Shelbyville, IN; and Turners Falls, MA. Our 500 associates embrace a strong, values-based culture and take pride in doing what’s right for our consumers, customers and communities. Each Greenleaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We thrive in an engaging, open and fast-paced environment. We support one another to grow professionally and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
As a key member of the Packaging Engineering team, the Sr. Packaging Engineer will be responsible for managing various commercial development packaging projects as well as Innovation for Greenleaf Foods. Utilizing strong leadership skills, deep expertise in packaging technology and a passion for innovative packaging, the Sr. Packaging Engineer is responsible for packaging design and development execution with a global technology advancement.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will do:
What we have to offer you:
- Provide expertise during the planning of packaging equipment
- Lead and conduct packaging integrity trials/research at plants to validate product life cycle including storage/handling/distribution for new launches
- Identify and manage risk at all levels under tight timelines
- Provide enhanced technical expertise to new initiatives to further support our growth agenda
- Maintain knowledge of current packaging innovation and latest technology globally
- Identify and demonstrate proof of principle of innovative packaging and packaging equipment
- Identify strategic packaging technology suppliers, ensure partnerships are developed and supplier innovation activities are aligned with company innovation needs
- Develop, test, review and recommend proposals for packaging/equipment designs by translating needs of business into work plans, anticipating risks and incorporating mitigation strategies, and developing succinct communications for senior leaders
- Work with Procurement, Brand, and Site Operations to ensure the accurate and timely development of all packaging standards, specifications and procedures
- Ensure the accurate and timely publication, communication and retention of all documentation related to packaging specifications and procedures through our SAP Systems
- During development with our partners and stakeholders, ensure that packaging components meet or exceed our quality and efficiency standards
- Working with Quality troubleshoot and make sound technical recommendations for existing quality issues
- Ensure all new suppliers meet qualification standards established by operations
- Work with packaging suppliers, provide technical assistance and knowledge during implementation of packaging components based on our quality and efficiency standards
- Aid in design and development of new-to-world equipment architectures for new products using creative technical solutions for materials and novel manufacturing techniques (with Engineering team). Provide technical analyses, develop alternatives (cost estimates, feasibility, specifications and interpretation of requirements).
What you will bring:
- Career development opportunities
- Health and Wellness benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Account, and Employee Assistance Program
- 401K plan with company match
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Degree in Engineering (Packaging)
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in food packaging or any consumer goods packaging development technology
- Strong understanding of packaging components, supplier processes, manufacturing processes, and Engineering Change Order (ECO) principals
- Able to identify and analyze problems, recommend and implement flexible and creative solutions based on customer need
- Ability to effectively organize and manage multiple tasks as projects, ensuring completion to meet deadline
- Proven people leadership and project management skills including establishing functional rapport with Marketing, Product Development, Purchasing, Engineering and Manufacturing teams
- Possess excellent technical competence in food packaging systems with comprehensive knowledge of packaging materials (primary, secondary and tertiary), high speed packaging systems, food process engineering, continuous improvement tools and best management practices in automated manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results by working autonomously with minimal supervision
- Skillful at effectively leveraging internal and external resources to drive projects, develop sustainable packaging and ensure flawless execution for the organization
- Proficient in SAP environment, CAPE & Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint & MS Project)
- Ability and willingness to travel 25% of the time.