A High Growth, Entrepreneurial Plant Based Protein Company
Established in 2018, Greenleaf Foods is a leading consumer plant-based protein company committed to shaping the future of plant-based eating.
Our portfolio of plant-based protein brands includes Lightlife Foods and Field Roast Grain Meat Co. Lightlife products inspire clean, nourishing health with a simple ingredient deck and great taste the entire family will enjoy. Lightlife is proud to make the country’s #1 brand of tempeh and the #1 plant-based hot dog. Field Roast is known for bringing food enthusiasts together with globally inspired flavors, whole-food ingredients and innovative processes that make its plant-based meats and cheeses. Together, the brands feature more than 50 products and represent a leading market position in the plant-based protein category.
Are you looking for an opportunity to make an impact on a fast-growing company? Greenleaf Foods is headquartered 20 miles outside of Chicago in Elmhurst, IL and is an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Maple Leaf Foods, Canada’s leading protein company. We have operations in Seattle, WA; Indianapolis, IN; and Turners Falls, MA. Our 500 associates embrace a strong, values-based culture and take pride in doing what’s right for our consumers, customers and communities. Each Greenleaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We thrive in an engaging, open and fast-paced environment. We support one another to grow professionally and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Food Safety Specialist
The Food Safety Specialist will be responsible for maintaining and updating Food Safety Plans and any food safety initiative at the Greenleaf manufacturing facilities. The Food Safety Specialist is accountable for supporting the FSQA team in compliance to policy, regulatory standards, and business goals across the facility.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will do:
What we have to offer you:
- Maintain and update facility Food Safety Plans and associated programs to ensure compliance with existing or changing regulatory, such as the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), or corporate requirements.
- Train FSQA, Operations, Maintenance, and other cross-functional supervisors and hourly front-line employees annually and when changes occur to the Food Safety Plan thus maintaining an attitude of continuous process improvement.
- Conducts audits to verify the Food Safety Plan and associated programs is successfully being maintained.
- Conducts annual review of Food Safety Plan and validation of Process Preventive Controls
- Maintains deviation program, following up on issues and corrective actions, if necessary, based on deviations found in plant programs.
- Facilitates monthly Food Safety Team meetings and issues monthly minutes.
- Support third party and regulatory audits (BRC, Organic, Kosher, FDA, etc.) and prepare/coach cross functional managers before and during these audits.
- Maintains corrective action tracker database to ensure continuous improvement activities cited from internal and external audits are acted upon and remain on track.
- Develops a constructive work environment through excellent interpersonal, team building skills, and open communication.
- Coach, assess and review current and new Food Safety Team Members competencies through quizzes and participation.
- Conduct internal audits of facility Food Safety and Quality Programs against corporate standards.
- Operates as back-up to the FSQA supervisory roles when necessary.
- Other duties which may be assigned from time to time.
What you will bring:
- A collaborative and engaging work environment and team culture
- Career development opportunities
- Health and Wellness benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Account, and Employee Assistance Program
- 401K plan with company match
- Competitive salary based on experience with potential for a yearly bonus incentive
- Bachelor of Science in Food Science, Biology, Chemistry, or equivalent food industry experience
- Certified FSMA Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) preferred - willing to provide training to right individual without current certification
- Strong understanding of the FDA regulations, Food Safety Modernization Act, Foreign Supplier Verification Programs, Sanitation, SOP development and implementation, and GMPs
- Strong leadership skills
- 2-3 years experience in the Food industry preferred - will also consider a mixture of work and internship experience
- Previous experience in a technical role
- Intermediate to exceptional MS Office skills