A High Growth, Entrepreneurial Plant Based Protein Company
Established in 2018, Greenleaf Foods is a leading consumer plant-based protein company committed to shaping the future of plant-based eating.
Our portfolio of plant-based protein brands includes Lightlife Foods and Field Roast Grain Meat Co. Lightlife products inspire clean, nourishing health with a simple ingredient deck and great taste the entire family will enjoy. Lightlife is proud to make the country’s #1 brand of tempeh and the #1 plant-based hot dog. Field Roast is known for bringing food enthusiasts together with globally inspired flavors, whole-food ingredients and innovative processes that make its plant-based meats and cheeses. Together, the brands feature more than 50 products and represent a leading market position in the plant-based protein category.
Are you looking for an opportunity to make an impact on a fast-growing company? Greenleaf Foods is headquartered 20 miles outside of Chicago in Elmhurst, IL and is an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Maple Leaf Foods, Canada’s leading protein company. We have operations in Seattle, WA; Indianapolis, IN; and Turners Falls, MA. Our 500 associates embrace a strong, values-based culture and take pride in doing what’s right for our consumers, customers and communities. Each Greenleaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We thrive in an engaging, open and fast-paced environment. We support one another to grow professionally and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
The Manager, Food Safety and Quality Assurance
supports the execution of the Food Safety and Quality Management System (FSQMS) at Greenleaf Foods and continuous improvement within Food Safety and Quality in a fast-paced, demanding environment. Additionally, the manager will support the establishment and maintenance of positive relationships with the US plant-based manufacturing sites, other functions throughout the organization, regulatory authorities, customers and other external contacts.
Support execution of and compliance to all food safety programs at the US plant-based manufacturing sites, including but not limited to:
- Food Safety Plans, including the HACCP system, to meet FDA regulations including FSMA (US Food Safety Modernization Act), Canadian regulations including SFCA (Safe Food for Canadians Act) and other regulatory requirements where applicable,
- FS&Q and other relevant programs to enable adherence to Maple Leaf Foods/Greenleaf Foods and GFSI/BRC requirements,
- Review and provide guidance on construction control protocols at plant level as they impact food safety,
- Environmental Monitoring Program testing, oversight and review of related Seek & Destroy investigative activities, etc. including trend analysis of results in the manufacturing facilities,
- Facilitate Food Safety and Quality Risk Assessments for product development projects, and as required when food safety concerns are identified.
- Collaborative interaction with FSQA and other cross functional team members within the plant and across the Maple Leaf Foods and Greenleaf Foods businesses in support of information sharing, program improvements and consistency within all manufacturing facilities and distribution centers across Greenleaf Foods,
- Participate in and provide support to the plant teams during internal and external audits, including preparation activities, audit execution and any required corrective actions and related communication,
- Technical resource for business initiatives that may impact plant processes or product safety, quality or legality,
- Participate in recurring cross functional meetings including sanitation meetings, management reviews, foreign material prevention meetings, project meetings, food safety team meetings and others as required,
- Identify and recommend opportunities for continuous improvement within existing plant and business level programs, support the implementation of changes,
- Develop and implement Greenleaf Foods corporate procedures and documents to align with Maple Leaf Foods FSQMS requirements.
Support execution of and compliance to all quality programs and requirements (QMS – Quality Management System) at US plant-based manufacturing sites, including but not limited to:
- Adherence to product specifications,
- Establishing and assuring adherence to QMS governance,
- Non-food safety related regulatory programs,
- Trend analysis of QMS performance (CQPs, CTQs, etc.) to identify, enable, and support, implementation of process improvements as defined within QMS governance.
- Provide guidance and direction on training of hourly FSQA and plant staff to assure compliance to Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory Compliance,
- Coach manufacturing site FSQA Managers.
Onsite presence at facilities on a routine basis, travel will be commensurate with plant assignments in relation to home base. 25% travel.
- Travel in the United States and Canada, at a minimum, is required.
- Hours vary to meet plant schedules including sanitation activities, pre-operative inspection and all shifts of operation.
- Operate with a great deal of independence, self-accountability, and thought leadership.
In addition to demonstrating alignment to the Maple Leaf Values, you will have the following proven competencies:
- Minimum of 8 years in a regulated food manufacturing industry, preferably within the plant-based protein sector.
- Minimum of 8 years in the Food Safety and Quality management function.
- Bachelor of Science in Food Science, Nutritional Science, or other related science degree. Degrees in other disciplines (e.g. Engineering) will be considered depending upon previous work experience.
- Experience and understanding of regulatory requirements and compliance (e.g. FDA, CFIA, etc.).
- Working knowledge of food chemistry, microbiology, allergen control, auditing, GFSI/BRC, environmental monitoring, and sanitary design in a food manufacturing environment.
- Experience implementing and executing programs compliant with GFSI standards is preferred.
Problem Prevention/Solution Focused
- Clear and concise in all means of communication (e.g. written, verbal, electronic, public speaking, interpersonal, etc.).
- Effectively apply situational communication to all levels of the organization and other stakeholders, with demonstrated ability to relay complex technical issues accordingly.
- Proven Continuous Improvement and Lean perspective to implement appropriate solutions.
- Ability to support complex projects that require strong leadership, initiative, and change management.
- Ability to quickly derive root cause and to effect sustainable preventive measures.
- Research and apply functional best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to use data to predict and prevent problems before they arise.
- Ability to compile all relevant information into concise risk assessment reporting format and to provide the output to all stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Excellent observation, attention to detail, analytical and problem-solving skills.
Commitment and Teamwork Focused
- Resilience to work in difficult, intense and ambiguous situations.
- Proven ability to coach, mentor and inspire teams.
- Ability to engage others toward a common goal, including influential leadership of stakeholders.
- Resourceful and work independently without day to day guidance.
- High sense of energy & urgency while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Demonstrated skills in team building and collaboration both within the function and with other functions and stakeholders.
- Holds self and others accountable to deliver on FSQMS programs, regulatory requirements, customer requirements, etc.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.