Product Developer, Research, Development & Technology – Lisle, IL
At Greenleaf Foods, we know that accelerating growth in the plant protein category is critical to realizing our vision to become The Most Sustainable Protein Company on Earth
. Integrating new food technologies, world-class product designs and winning with best-tasting products, is imperative to achieving this vision as we strive to delight our consumers and strengthen our leadership position.
We are on a journey to hire individuals with great technical and commercial acumen to be part our amazing R&D family who share our passion for food and its impact on our lives and planet. As such, we are seeking a Product Developer to innovate, develop and commercialize great tasting, plant-based protein products. This role will be based out of our brand-new innovation center in Lisle, IL.
The position of Product Developer will appeal to individuals who enjoy the challenge of participating in the creation and execution of new and improved products. The individual will need to be self-motivated, team oriented, enjoy a fast-paced environment, dogged in their pursuit of the end goal and capable of bringing creative approaches to the resolution of the broad array of challenges with which they will be confronted. He or she must also enjoy the 'hands-on' nature of the job that will require involvement in bench, pilot and plant activities. A passion for food science and technology with an ability to use science and technology to problem solve will be important.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Co-ordinate, plan, design and execute product development through all stages of development; concept to bench-top prototype development, pilot plant and full-scale manufacturing in support of the business initiatives.
- Review and document raw ingredients, formulations and final product specifications to maintaining accurate records and to ensure compliance with Company standards.
- Build SAP RD skills for the creation of labels, regulatory approvals and generation of all product SOP changes.
- Consult and provide direction to internal customers (i.e. Purchasing/ Marketing/ Manufacturing/ Quality Assurance) by communicating information for product improvements and/or cost savings initiatives.
- Conduct assessment of problematic product issues and work as part of a team to resolve the technical problems and execute the development/modification of products
- Consult technical resources (literature, technical papers, academia, suppliers) to further product knowledge and apply the learning to execute projects.
- Prepare and present technical reports/results, both written and oral, to associates, peers and occasionally to management with business and scientific clarity.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Pension plans
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
About Greenleaf Foods, SPC
- BS, MS or PhD in Food Science, Food Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in Product Development - preferably in plant protein or meat science.
- Functionally competent in MS Office programs
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Must have strong people management skills
- Must enjoy and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility of schedule – schedule may require various start times due to plant trials and start ups
Headquartered in Elmhurst, IL, Greenleaf Foods, embraces a strong, values-based culture, where dedicated employees take pride in doing what’s right for consumers, customers and communities. Employees thrive in an engaging, open and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and responsibility. Each Greenleaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. They support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Greenleaf Foods, SPC is committed to shaping the future of plant-based foods. Established in 2018, Greenleaf's portfolio of leading plant-based protein brands includes Lightlife Foods and Field Roast Grain Meat Co. Greenleaf is a wholly-owned, independent subsidiary of Maple Leaf Foods. In Q4 of 2020, Greenleaf is opening an Innovation Center to centralize, support and drive it’s innovation agenda.
Our Leadership Values
- Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble