A High Growth, Entrepreneurial Plant Based Protein Company
Established in 2018, Greenleaf Foods is a leading consumer plant-based protein company committed to shaping the future of plant-based eating.
Our portfolio of plant-based protein brands includes Lightlife Foods and Field Roast Grain Meat Co. Lightlife products inspire clean, nourishing health with a simple ingredient deck and great taste the entire family will enjoy. Lightlife is proud to make the country’s #1 brand of tempeh and the #1 plant-based hot dog. Field Roast is known for bringing food enthusiasts together with globally inspired flavors, whole-food ingredients and innovative processes that make its plant-based meats and cheeses. Together, the brands feature more than 50 products and represent a leading market position in the plant-based protein category.
Are you looking for an opportunity to make an impact on a fast-growing company? Greenleaf Foods is headquartered 20 miles outside of Chicago in Elmhurst, IL and is an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Maple Leaf Foods, Canada’s leading protein company. We have operations in Seattle, WA; Indianapolis, IN; and Turners Falls, MA. Our 500 associates embrace a strong, values-based culture and take pride in doing what’s right for our consumers, customers and communities. Each Greenleaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We thrive in an engaging, open and fast-paced environment. We support one another to grow professionally and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
The Automation Engineer is a key position for the Greenleaf Foods facility whose responsibilities within the production environment will include ongoing development of the automation strategy and support of the automation actions for the facility. That automation strategy will include manpower resource planning, disaster recovery planning, production support, department training plan and departmental budget planning. The Automation Engineer will play a key role in supporting the plant to improve equipment efficiency and optimize manufacturing effectiveness.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Provide direct support for all automation deliverable actions to align with Automation Strategy Plan & Operational Shift Support requirements
- Support and backup plan for all plant Control and Automation systems. Control and Automation systems including PLC, PC, HMI, MES, SCADA, Robotics and Building Automation.
- Develop and manage a change control system for PLC/HMI, Electrical Drawings and related documents.
- Manage the Instrumentation program to meet all facility FSQA, regulatory and operational requirements.
- Develop and manage Predictive, Preventative and Proactive maintenance requirements for Controls related systems. Procedures and Practices to be implemented in Reliability Maintenance Program and SAP.
- Manage Vendors and Suppliers to establish strong collaborative relationships to ensure required service and support contracts are current.
- Develop and manage a Facility Controls and Electrical build standard in alignment with the Corporate Engineering standards.
- Work with Maintenance Area Leaders to establish programs to mentor and develop Maintenance support team to enhance knowledge and skills of Automated equipment.
- Competent to troubleshoot equipment in the plant locally or through VPN access when required. Mentor team members when required to work through and solve equipment controls related issues.
- Be comfortable with the Escalation procedure and understand the requirement of receiving after hours calls from time to time.
- Develop contingency support plan for all Automation Team members. Adequate knowledge transfer between all team members on plant equipment.
- Maintain equipment level network systems to align with Corporate IS protocols and requirements.
- Manage and support facility MES/SCADA systems.
- Maintain OEM support contact list and VPN connectivity.
- Shall demonstrate full commitment to the implementation of the requirements of the Global Standard for Food Safety and to processes which facilitate continual improvement of food safety and quality management.
What you will bring:
- A collaborative and engaging work environment and team culture
- Career development opportunities
- Health and Wellness benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Account, and Employee Assistance Program
- 401K plan with company match
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering or a combination of 15 years of progressive manufacturing operations, equipment/system commissioning/verification knowledge and project execution.
- Experience in Engineering Change Control Process, and Design Reviews
- Experience in Level 2 Control Systems such as Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and Manufacturing Execution System (MES).
- Experience in the implementation and integration of Robotics.
- Experience in the implementation, integration and calibration of instrumentation.
- Ability to solve complex problems within a dynamic working environment, providing training/project coaching, build excellence in teams, and motivate others to achieve results.
- Must be a data driven decision-maker who builds effective teams utilizing exceptional communication and interpersonal skills. A proven track record as an influential leader within an organization who can motivate others; demonstrates sound judgment, be adaptable and flexible.
- Strong analytical skills with a proven history in solving complex problems, business, analytical, information system, and computer skills.
- Knowledge of current safety standards and regulations.
- Knowledge of SAP & CMMS would be an asset