A High Growth, Entrepreneurial Plant-Based Protein Company
Established in 2018, Greenleaf Foods is a leading consumer plant-based protein company committed to shaping the future of plant-based eating.
Our portfolio of plant-based protein brands includes Lightlife Foods and Field Roast Grain Meat Co. Lightlife products inspire clean, nourishing health with a simple ingredient deck and great taste the entire family will enjoy. Lightlife is proud to make the country’s #1 brand of tempeh the #1 plant-based hot dog. Field Roast is known for bringing food enthusiasts together with globally inspired flavors, whole-food ingredients and innovative processes that make its plant-based meats and cheeses. Together, the brands feature more than 50 products and represent a leading market position in the plant-based protein category.
Are you looking for an opportunity to make an impact on a fast-growing company? Greenleaf Foods is headquartered 20 miles outside of Chicago in Elmhurst, IL and is an independent, wholly owned subsidiary of Maple Leaf Foods, Canada’s leading protein company. We have operations in Seattle, WA; Shelbyville, IN; and Turners Falls, MA. Our 500 associates embrace a strong, values-based culture and take pride in doing what’s right for our consumers, customers and communities. Each Greenleaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We thrive in an engaging, open and fast-paced environment. We support one another to grow professionally and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Job Title: FSQA Supervisor
Reports to: FSQA Manager
The FSQA Supervisor is responsible for leading and supervising the QA Techs in the effective execution of the HACCP and Food Safety programs and protocols. They shall ensure that the production floor is covered at all times and employees are trained. Assists in the completion of paperwork and works across departments to help with ongoing projects. Other duties performed as required.
• Responsible to report food safety concerns immediately and stop production when required.
• Supervise QA Techs ensuring that tasks are conducted consistently, efficiently and meet the needs of the business, including auditing quality and quantity of work performed.
• Ensure all messages and changes in process by FSQA Manager are communicated to QA Techs to ensure consistency within the department, as well as to relevant departments.
• Planning QA staffing requirements according to staffing levels and production demands, including approving of hours on a weekly basis and vacation scheduling.
• Scheduling QA tasks according to program and production demands and participate in pre-op, operational and post-op inspections.
• Actively find ways to maintain, update and ensure consistent execution of current QA programs and internal SOPs and compliance with BU and FDA requirements.
• Ensure consistent execution of QA programs within SAP system.
• Assist with HACCP and MLF/GLF Food Safety and Quality program updates, maintenance, verifications and function as a cross functional liaison to ensure the plant is meeting regulatory and compliance requirements for all stakeholders.
• Assist with analysis of sanitation data to determine root cause of deficiencies and provide sanitation team feedback on performance and necessary improvements.
• Assist with third party audits and prepare/coach cross functional managers before and during these audits.
• Assist in follow up and issue any corrective actions, if necessary, based on deviations found in plant process or resulting from customer complaints.
• Support the QC Hold program by ensuring all QC Holds are logged and communicated appropriately and inventorying product on QC Hold with a weekly report to QA Manager.
• Conduct annual and new employee training on topics including but not limited to GMP and HACCP and revise training programs as required.
• Assist with cross functional SOP development and ensure that facility SOPs and related
documents are in correct format, properly stored and distributed as per manufacturing
• Conducting monthly GMP, internal and external audits with cross-functional team and
identifying opportunities for improvement.
• Assist cross functional team in investigating incidents and customer complaints.
• Provide functional support to recall team.
• Move freely through the plant observing people, products and processes, reinforce
successes, identify opportunities, inspire followership.
• Actively develop and promote a constructive work environment through excellent
interpersonal, team building and leadership skills, open communications, encouraging input
and constructive performance by ensuring all employees understand their responsibility to
report food safety problems, safety issues and personnel concerns to personnel with
authority to initiate action.
• Maintain security and confidentiality of information within the QA Department.
• Maintaining an attitude of continuous process improvement and training of employees at
hourly and salary levels.
• Take the lead on executing various initiatives to improve the quality and safety of our
process and products.
• Evaluate product and raw material quality attributes – determine and coordinate disposition
if/as needed, seeking confirmation from FSQA Manager on any indecision.
• Reports including:
Daily shift report of key quality related events for QA Management review.
Investigation of customer complaints, including compiling of records and finding trends
Monitor, document and report on finished product specifications to measureo
compliance with company standards.
Communicate to relevant QA, Production and Executive personnel information
regarding trends, data, needs, non-compliances, internal and external audits,
surveys, etc. to ensure effective implementation and maintenance of the food safety
program via email, meetings, etc.
• Support QA and Food Safety functions on after-hours shifts as required.
• Reports to work on time, participates in all plant and department trainings and meetings.
• Other duties as assigned.
• BS in Food Science or related discipline
• Two years of experience in a HACCP recognized facility in a food safety or quality assurance
• 1 – 2 years of supervisory experience leading teams of 3 – 5 employees
• Familiarity with WSDA and FDA product standards
• A passion for food safety and working with a high performing team (Tough on standards,
easy on people)
• Professional communication skills both verbal and written
• Be able to prioritize multiple requests and use good judgement in meeting those requests
• Detail oriented and organized, able to work independently with minimal direction
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and database systems
• Experience working in a multi-cultural environment where English is a second language
• Experience with tough conversations, counseling employees, and resolving conflicts
• Ability to be flexible and deal with complexity. Adapts to changes in the work environment,
manages competing demands and able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected
• Punctual and reliable attendance
• Ability to work on your feet for 6-8 hours per day in both cold and hot environments
• Must be able to bend, squat, and lift up to 30lb